Tuesday 14 October 2014

Artist's style of Work

Just as I decided to start my project with the theme of "Influences and Identity". I was listening to a song called  "ROOTS" by Flo Rida. I get a lot of my influences from music, so then I figured that I would use the song that I was currently listening to, to make a reference as one of my influences.


Flo Rida’s album cover uses Calligraphy for texts and varies in sizes according to the importance of each word to communicate more deeply with the viewers and the listening audience.


The song called "Roots" is track number 6 on the album R.O.O.T.S. (Route Of Overcoming The Struggle). It was written by Tramar Dillard AKA Flo Rida/ Borges and Jean M.



Read more: Flo Rida - Roots Lyrics | MetroLyrics 


Flo Rida’s album cover uses Calligraphy for texts and varies in sizes according to the importance of each word to communicate deeply with the viewers and the listening audience.

I have spend hours to find the creator of the Album cover and I am still in search for it. I am currently awaiting for an email back from the record producing company...

I am very interested in Calligram to express my works of Art which involve Calligraphy to spread the messages across to the world of which I have been influenced by.


A Calligram is a poem, phrase, or word in which the typeface, calligraphy or handwriting is arranged in a way that creates a visual image. "A calligram is thus a combination of poetry and visual art". The image created by the words expresses visually what the words say.

Exploring calligram I came across a great Artist named Ben Duarri also known as Screen Prince. I really admire his style of work because he primarily uses texts to create an portrait image.

Calligraphy to me has always been about characters to communicate the spiritual world of the artist. Just as one thousand persons will have many faces and one thousand persons will have as many differences in handwriting. Through the medium of form, way of handling the strokes, presentation, and style, calligraphy as a work of art conveys the moral integrity, character, emotions, feelings and culture of the artist to readers affecting them by the power of appeal.



Artist: Ben Duarri AKA Screen Prince
Jimi Hendrix, is entirely hand drawn lettering using lyrics from "Are You Experienced?", from his break-through album of the same title. "I drew from the phsychedelic posters..."

I have chosen this particular piece of Screen Prince's work as the very first artist reference because of the calligraphy art I was drawn to. Which I will hold onto, but I prefer to reflect and study on Prince's another piece of art work because he has created a calligram on one of my favourite music artists Jay-Z.  This is because I feel more connected to the piece of art work as I have listened to it before, the song and the piece of art is called "Momma Loves Me" from Jay-Z's album "Blueprint" 



SCREEN PRINCE



Artist: Screen Prince
Title: Momma Loves Me
Medium: Silkscreen
Screen prince starts off with light to mark up the expressive lines to create a face. Then he uses two contrasting colours to separate the tones and colours of a person’s face which gives balance to the whole portrait. I am inspired by the technique he uses; texts as calligraphy to produce the portrait. I picked out that Prince also curves the calligraphy texts to shape the face as to appeal 3 dimension. The technique and style of work really links well with my theme as Prince uses person’s identity and texts to present a final product.


This is a Calligram of a rap Artist Jay-Z. I have used Jay- Z's lyrics from a song called "Momma Loves me" as Calligraphy to construct a Calligram. 

The lyrics I used is the very first verse of the song which I have covered on the calligram.

Momma loved me, pop left me
Mickey fed me, and he dressed me
Eric fought me, made me tougher
Love you for that no matter what brah
Marcy raised me; and whether right or wrong
Streets gave me all I write in the song.......

 I started off with charcoal to mark up the expressive lines of the face,then I smudged the lines slightly to  add tone to the face. I am really impressed with my very first attempt with Calligram. Although I have identified the improvements I need to encounter for the next attempt to enhance my performance.


1. Use lighter material to express marks to begin with
2. Consider the tones and contrasts to separate the text and the features
3. Produce the piece as personal and engage-able as I possibly can

I decided to comply Screen Prince's technique of using portrait and texts to interpret my idea of Influences and Identity. I find the concept of using texts written over face very fascinating as I have always loved to write my personal stories and present them in a very effective way, to the world.


Title: 5yearsoldWrite
Medium: Charcoal, Chalk, Paint and Fibre tip
Material: Paper

In this piece of work I have interpreted the atmosphere of the 5 year old boy in Hong Kong. As I wanted to be a story writer, to create the portrait effective I have written the story that went on the head of the boy at the age of 5. 
I studied my own piece after I put my chalk down. I compared with Prince's work, I noticed that on the journey of creating the piece, I have picked up my own way to express a short story which I had always desired to bring into Art.


I reviewed the piece with the intention to develop my skills and techniques. These are the betterment for my next piece:
1. Vary the sizes of texts according to the importance of each word for the clarity
2. Express the emotions I experienced during the time of the portrait and match the facial expression with the texts.
3. Explain the process and emphasis the piece.





About Screen Prince
Screen Prince was born in El Escorial, near Madrid, but moved to the South coast of England at an early age. One his earliest memories is walking on the beach in Seaford catching crabs.
Screen Prince creates stunning portraits using text (Calligrame) that have an animated quality where the words used by the subject literally bring them to life. All his pieces are hand-drawn and then hand-printed, making the colours and tones unique to each piece. All of his pieces are hand-drawn and then hand-printed by him, using rich and opulent colours, papers and tones which are unique to each work. It is also stated on artrepublic that music is also incredibly important to his art and life as an artist; he believes it is the one thing he couldn’t live without. As I have mentioned before I have got alot of my influences from music, Screen Prince tend to have work on the same particular artists that I admire. Therefore, I believe I have a strong art relation with the Prince.

I am also interested in Calligram to express my works of Art which may involve Calligraphy.
A Calligram is a poem, phrase, or word in which the typeface, calligraphy or handwriting is arranged in a way that creates a visual image.
The image created by the words expresses visually what the words say.







Title: 8yearsoldDream

Here I have experimented my Influences with my Identity (Portrait) in an advanced and more effective technique using same Materials and Medium but adding a marker as I was obsessed to use marker at the age of 8. Even though this specific piece is of struggle, I believe I have successfully created a well investigated piece of art with the outcome of gaining new skills and techniques. 

Analysis: 8yearsoldDream 

Firstly I thought about the background which would be suitable both for black and white layer. I decided to use dark royal blue as used by my chosen artist Screen Prince. I applied a good amount of acrylic paint using a thick brush to make the colour opaque because the white paper would contrast with dark royal blue paint which would likely to draw an unintended attention. Thereafter, I used a 3b Hb pencil to create a continuous line drawing of my face when I was 8 years of age. I then started to fill more detail using charcoal (black) and chalk (white) on the eyes which for me is the best starting point for a portrait because by now I have learnt to scale the rest of the face depending on where the eyes are. For the darker sections I mostly used charcoal for a dark shadow effect and for the lighter segments I predominately used chalk. As both of these mediums turns into small dust particles I applied the chalk over the skin right after I created the eyes. Then I smudged the chalk particles over the skin area to create tones. I learnt that the no amount of chalk dust particles would completely cover the dark royal blue paint whereas putting more pressure on the page to rub the particles would help. Using a light pencil I added some texts and calligraphy in varying the sizes of the words to add more focus to certain words than others. Finally, I used a marker pen to create a bold effect on the texts as to balance out the whole piece.

"Hunger gave me the Wish but bottom is so important"

 "Seeds been planted"


"Dreams been granted"

These 3 quotes are from the song "Roots" by Flo- Rida


Stan Kaminski

Stan Kaminski is the originator of the ground breaking three colour painting method that enables even beginners to achieve outstanding results through a clear understanding of how to observe and interpret the subject rather than simply blindly copying. The technique also narrows down the process to any piece of work that is constructed, and make the piece lot more effective. As I looked into the landscape of Kaminski’s more closely, I strongly believe that this landscape was observational live drawing according to the shadows of the trees and bushes facing different directions. I really admire this scene because of the personal resonance it has to me; almost like a memory drive which flashes back my experiences as memories which I accumulated in this Castle.


The image above is a painting by Kaminski of Kenilworth Castle. I had taken a photo in the same Castle way before I met Kaminski or even known of him. I have constructed the composition to create a surreal image. I learnt that even if the two images aren't in the exact position or even of the same direction with the intention to create, the colours and shapes the two images will blend in together perfectly.
I met Kaminski in Birmingham when I went to visit the German market with my siblings; two brothers and a sister. As we were exploring the market, just as we crossed the border line of the German market and the usual Birmingham market I spotted Stan Kaminski and his stall. First I took a glance at several of his works of art and praised him. Then he explained to me about his three colour technique. As soon as he mentioned “the three colours” I had this feeling that we had a strong connection for Art as I have been focusing on my “three” countries experiences.
Kaminski has influenced me to keep a firm target for achieving a planned piece like he uses only 3 colours for his artwork, and as I have been focusing on my “three” countries experiences, I will stick to it.



Here is a photograph of Stan Kaminski and I. The photo was captured by my sister in Birmingham around 8pm therefore the image quality isn't as sharp. We didn't review the photo after until we got home and as my sister sent the photos, I wasn't as happy. And as my sister studies in Birmingham she took the photo of him the following day.



Gonkar Gyatso

Gonkar Gyatso is a contemporary artist, born in Tibet and living for over a decade in the West. He is the founder of Contemporary Tibetan Art gallery the Sweet Tea House in London.”
Gyatso studied Chinese Brush Painting in Beijing, attaining a B.F.A. and Thangka (traditional Tibetan scroll painting) in Dharamsla. He has been living and working in the West ever since; and is the founder of the Sweet Tea House, a contemporary art gallery dedicated to showing Tibetan work, based in London. Gyatso was the recipient of a Leverhelm Fellowship in 2003 and was an artist in residence at Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford. 


Gyatso'swork has been exhibited in galleries and museums around the world, including the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (Boston, MA), Tel Aviv Museum of Art (Israel), The City Gallery (New Zealand), The Institute of Modern Art (Australia), and many more.
Gyatso's official website .



Aritst:Gonkar Gyatso
Title: Excuse me while I kiss the sky 2011 (high view)
Meduim/ Material: Stickers, paper collage, and pencil on cast polyurethane sculpture
Size: 122 x 81 x 71 cm






“EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY” is one of Gonkar Gyatso’s most visually arresting and monumentally ambitious projects to date. It consists of seven works on paper, altogether spanning more than 15 meters across, which spell out the unforgettable lyrics from Jimi Hendrix’s song, Purple Haze. Under the artist’s hand, the lyrics are transformed into a visual kaleidoscope of colors and forms.


The stencil font used to form the letters is Braggadocio, a style created in the Art Deco era and revived during the psychedelic age of the 1960s, commonly used for advertisement copy, magazine headlines, and street signage. In each letter, in each word, the artist brings iconic pictures from popular culture taken from stickers, newspapers, magazines, and political cartoons, in conversation with each other, to map out the visual spectrum of our contemporary moment. Unified by ink dots and graphite drawings made by the artist, the obsessive display of found objects suggests the potential of new articulations.


Upon closer inspection, iconography from Gyatso’s own Tibetan heritage can also be discovered within: a golden wheel, a pair of fish, the Dalai Lama, and Tibetan script, even a yak and a Tibetan pilgrim. Employing techniques from traditional Buddhist painting as well as Tibetan motifs, the artist seeks to create a unique language that addresses the tension between cultural loss and the dynamic processes of globalization. Here and in so many of his works, pop culture collides with traditional and cultural references as Gyatso injects a solid dose of his native Tibet into the vernacular of the social and political milieu of our time.



EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY was made between New York and Australia, en route to Beijing, during the summer of 2011. Magnifying the significance of this work are the conversations and friendship that made it possible. The idea for the project arose out of David Teplitzky’s suggestion to work with a song’s lyrics and Hendrix’s was selected after months of exchanging CDs and iPods.2 The work premiered in 2011 at the Institute of Modern Art in Brisbane in the exhibition Three Realms, which traveled on to the Griffith University Art Gallery and the University of Queensland Art Museum in 2012. Conceptio Unlimited Limited will also publish a monograph dedicated to this piece in 2012, with essays by Amy Hitchcoff, Bridget R. Cooks, and Maura Reilly.




Marcel Duchamp

Some art is a load of rubbish. Find out how a toilet changed the course of modern art, and get some inspiration from artists turning things most people would throw away into things people would queue in a gallery to see.


When French artist Marcel Duchamp submitted a piece of art called Fountain to an exhibition by the Society of Independent Artists in 1917, many critics said art was going down the toilet. Quite literally, given that Fountain was simply a men’s urinal signed ‘R. Mutt’. But while the Society refused to display it at the time, nearly 100 years later Fountain was voted the most important piece of art of the 20th century.


As well as poking fun at the art world, Duchamp’s wanted to prove that anything can be called ‘art’. His idea of ‘readymade’ art has influenced some of the world’s most famous artists including Pablo Picasso, Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst, all of whom have used found objects in their work. Nowadays, lots of artists are recycling materials in their work, making not just weird and wonderful art, but also a point about environmental issues.



Click here to see more

By studying Duchamp's behaviour towards his work, I have learned a very important lesson, Dumchap believed that his works of art would spark because he had a great message to tell the world that "everything is art". 




Artist: Michelle Robb Falmouth, United Kingdom




 I found an art blog on "hidden identity" by  Michelle Robb very inspirational therefore, here I have experimented with my identity. As I have always aspired to explore, I have created pieces of master-work using my very direct hand prints and finger prints to illustrate to the viewers that my Identity have to be traced and followed to be found.





Contact with Michelle Rob









Sandra Chevrier


Sandra Chevrier is an artist and full time mother living in Montreal, QC, Canada.

Sandra explains her work by saying, “I often give human and animals the main roles in my paintings







No comments:

Post a Comment